Monday, December 29, 2014

2014 in Review

2014 has been an incredibly productive year, though unfortunately much of it was spent gallivanting around the world and not at our quaint little white house. In March, Jacob and I went to the UK to visit our friend in Liverpool, drink scotch in the Highlands, and drop in on our host family from 2010. It was an incredible two weeks filled with haggis and adventure. Only a few weeks after our return, we packed our bags for Halifax to see City and Colour perform his limited Canadian tour. Shortly thereafter, we spent a long weekend with a dear friend on Cape Cod where she was working on a whale watching boat.


(left to right: Jacob & Megan in Liverpool; Myself at The Famous Grouse distillery in Scotland; Our friend Kate holding a live horseshoe crab in Cape Cod)


We weren't home for very long before we were off again on a long weekend to Bar Harbor with my in-laws, and then to Penobscot with our friends the following weekend for Labor Day Weekend. This year was a record-high for us in terms of domestic trips, camping, and overall non-stop hijinx. Reserving our accommodations through Airbnb helped us save a fortune when we weren't staying with friends along the way.


(left to right: Halifax; Bar Harbor; Penobscot)


When I went back to school in the fall to finish up my final semester, productivity on household projects seemed impossible. It was challenging to take so many high level courses at once, and one night I just snapped. In the middle of translating, I walked into our kitchen and started to peel the wallpaper, planning a redesign of the whole room out loud. The kitchen is currently in shambles, closely resembling the "murder room" when we first moved in. However, it is the first project I plan to finish in 2015, and I cannot wait for the big reveal. As with our other projects, the kitchen project was put on hiatus while Jacob and I traveled to Baltimore to attend a conference, celebrate Thanksgiving with my family the following week, and pop up to Quebec City a few days later for our second City & Colour show of the year. This final show represented 2014 perfectly, and the long weekend we spent in QC was absolutely what I needed to make the final push through finals.  



(left to right: yoga in the mountains of New Hampshire; the botanical gardens in Washington, DC; snowy streets in Quebec City)


Now that 2014 is coming to a close, and we have no outrageous plans for 2015, I am finally feeling ready to cozy up for the winter in Bath. With all of this time on my hands, I presume we will be able to finish some of these projects! I hope you will join us for the journey. 

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment